What Happens If You Have A Criminal Conviction?
March 17, 2023
A criminal conviction can have severe and long-lasting consequences. It can affect your personal and professional life and limit your opportunities in many ways. If you are facing criminal charges or have been convicted of a crime, it is important to understand the implications and your options.
In the state of New Jersey, a criminal conviction can result in fines, imprisonment, probation, and other penalties. The severity of the punishment depends on the type and severity of the crime, as well as the defendant’s criminal history and other factors.
Some of the consequences of a criminal conviction include:
- Employment Restrictions: A criminal conviction can make it difficult to find a job or advance in your career. Many employers conduct background checks, and a criminal record can disqualify you from certain jobs.
- Housing Restrictions: A criminal conviction can also affect your ability to find suitable housing. Landlords may deny your rental application if you have a criminal record, and you may have to live in a less desirable neighborhood or pay higher rent.
- Professional Licenses: Certain professions require a license or certification from the state, and a criminal conviction can result in the loss or suspension of these licenses. This can affect your ability to work in your chosen field and earn a living.
- Immigration Consequences: If you are not a U.S. citizen, a criminal conviction can affect your immigration status and potentially lead to deportation.
- Voting Rights: In New Jersey, individuals convicted of a felony lose their right to vote while they are serving their sentence, including any probation or parole.
Contact The Law Office of John B. Brennan Today For a Free Consultation About Your Criminal Defense Case in New Jersey
If you are facing criminal charges or have been convicted of a crime, it is important to speak with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Whether you’re facing charges for a DUI, a drug crime, or another type of offense, we’re here to help. At the Law Office of John B. Brennan, we believe that everyone deserves a strong defense. We know how complicated the criminal justice system in New Jersey is and have a history of successfully defending our clients’ rights. We understand the challenges you may be facing and will work tirelessly to protect your rights and achieve the best possible outcome for your case. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and learn how we can help you.